Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Label Whores




I just came across an article in NY Magazine that disturbed me, and simultaneously that I could totally empathize with. The article is call The Fashion Theif: What one serial shoplifter will do for the labels he loves" In summary it's a bout a 17 yr old young man who was obsessed with labels so much that it drove him to steal. Now my man wasn't stealing nickel and dime pieces from JC Penny he went for the big score stealing from stores like Barneys, Bergdorf and Goodman, and Prada to name a few. What I found most revealing was there's a piece of him in a lot of us...no we aren't going to the extreme of stealing, but we'll gladly not pay our bills for those new pair of sneakers, or pair of jeans, so that we can proudly display it's logo, and for what? What does a logo mean? I mean lets be honest 90% of us who want to buy Gucci, Louis Vuitton, aren't really concerned with the quality, it's the name, the prestige associated with the brand that we are seeking, so much so that we are willing to sell ourselves short and resorting to things that we wouldn't be proud to of to get it, rather than find our own personal style. The ironic thing is style isn't necessarily expensive, or opulent...it's you. It's the unspoken representation of your character, and your persona, what you want to say to the world before you ever utter a sentence, and you don't have to do much but pay...attention to what, and how you wear your expression.But I digress...I'm off my soap box. I hope everyone had a great monday.

No comments: