Here's an easy recipe that would go perfectly with a picnic.
* Leaves from 2 bunches fresh basil
* 2 tablespoons pine nuts, untoasted
* 1 garlic clove
* 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 pound bow tie pasta
* 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. Combine the basil, pine nuts, garlic, and olive oil in a blender and blend to a puree. Add the cheese, salt and pepper, and blend again.
2. Cook the pasta in the boiling, salted water until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add the pesto and toss. Taste for salt and pepper, and add a drizzle of oil, if you like.
4. Garnish with basil and cherry tomatoes.