Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Follow the Music

While I was at Clark Atlanta University I had the pleasure of meeting this guy


he and I modeled together at several fashion shows, and he definitely had a beautiful spirit (yes fellas dudes can have beautiful spirits without it being homo) and infectious personality we enjoyed many conversations but it wasn't until I left that I found he is apart of a legacy of great musicians: He is the nephew of this guy
Kirk Whalum if you haven't heard of em check him out, he has been on the jazz circuit for years and is a trail blazer in his industry.

Kortland is also the brother of this guy


picture by Jon Genius

Kenneth Whalum III a future jazz icon in my opinion, he has already worked with some of the best in the game including Diddy, Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Mary J Blige, Jay Z, Snoop Dogg, Beyonce, Fantasia, Joss Stone, super producer Rodney Jerkins, Al Green, Regina Belle and most recently has been touring with Maxwell which couldn't have been a better fit in my opinion. He plays with the same soul, sensuality, and passion that Maxwell sings with. He is currently working on his first solo album, and I'm greatly anticipating it's release.

Here is his journey in his words...

SAX AND THE CITY: A Musician's Journey from Teneille Gibson on Vimeo.



PS I know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so be on the look out for Kortland as well I know we'll be seeing his name in lights sometime soon.

1 comment:

singer/songwriter/fly-guy said...

You're the best. This is great! Thanks!!

- Kortland Whalum